Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Nature's Self Cleansing Process?

There are times when I really question the intelligence level of human beings ... and today is one of those times. In an article on CNN.com, I read the following; Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, and killed. McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, had recently won the title of Ms. Deaf Texas in June. Now I never claimed to be one of stellar intelligence myself, but I do know that trains, during the course of normal operation, do not leave their tracks. So, Ms. McAvoy was not walking near the tracks as the story states ... she was walking on them. Out of all the places a hearing impaired person could go for a stroll, what would possess them to take a hike down the railroad tracks? That's like a blind person taking a motorcycle for a ride to unwind at the end of the day. "Survival of the fittest" ... I think Darwin was on to something there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the time my sister and I walked down the railroad tracks. Around the tracks were so overgrown with weeds, I suggested use the tracks "trains don't use them" I told her. They use the newer ones, or so I thought. Luckily we were off them, on our way back down the hill, when a train came zooming by.

A deaf person would be capable of feeling the vibration of an oncoming train; suicidal?

March 16, 2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger JK said...

Good observation .... uh ... I mean feeling. That thought did cross my mind when I read the story. Thanks for reading.

JK

March 16, 2006 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home