Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Taxman

Today I had the pleasure of dealing with the internal revenue service. I'll spare everyone the long drawn out story and particulars, but the whole reason for the conflict was that a few papers were not filed in the right place ... that's it. When I made initial contact (via telephone) with the IRS representative, his attitude was quite clear right from the start. He had it in his head that my life long goal was to defraud the government out of deserved income tax revenue, no matter what I said to him. I explained that this whole issue would be easily resolved with a few phone calls to my accountant, and a few faxes back to him ... and it was. Needless to say, this experience brought to light an interesting thought. People that commit murder in the park in broad daylight in front of 134 witnesses on a sunny Saturday are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. People that misplace a couple of tax forms are guilty until proven innocent to IRS case workers. What a country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home