Saturday, February 25, 2006

Obviously Most Law Makers Are Men

Whether you agree, disagree, or are somewhat undecided on abortion, a certain amount of common sense really needs to employed when you petition for a change in the laws regarding such procedures. Recently in South Dakota, a law was passed to prohibit all abortions, with an exception to those in which the mother's life was endangered. Which means that rape victims will not be able to have a say in whether or not to keep the baby they were forced to carry through no choice of their own. What's worse, is that the father (although he probably would not come forward after performing such an abuse) maintains all rights and privileges as any other father does. Why is it when professional truck drivers are forced by their employers to drive more than ten hours a day, there are consequences for that action implemented by the state, yet when a women is forced to carry a child ... it's just tough luck for her?

3 Comments:

Blogger alyceclover said...

Interesting. I'd think most men would favor pro-choice, based on my experiences, the first thing a guy sez when she gets pregnant (outside of marriage) "get rid of it" or "it's not mine", not wanting responsibity to raise it. Perhaps the lawmakers are Christians who fear going to hell if they allow women to choose.

February 26, 2006 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! Inflammatory subject!

Here's my two cents: as a woman, I tend to tune out most pro-choice men. I simply chuckle to myself and hum "Jingle Bells" in my head. I suppose that I could be labeled unfair or sexist for this, but I can't take seriously a man - who will never be faced with carrying a child - who take pains to inform me as to how I should behave in such an unfortunate situation. Would I let one of these men pick out a even a bra for me? Of course not! They've never had to wear one. They'd never understand how to size one or choose one for comfort. Should I let these men dictate the output of my uterus? Sheesh! I will take into account my partner's opinion on the matter, but only because he's directly involved in the situation. It's the only male opinion I'd ever consider.

Then again, perhaps it's too easy for many of these pro-choice men to have an opinion ... neither will ever have to make the difficult choice to back up their convictions, right?

The common counterpoint to my pro-choice leanings is to point out that there are many wonderful couples looking to adopt. True. For many unexpectedly pregnant women, this is the most positive conclusion. Still, though, should a pregnant woman be obligated to carry a child to term for this reason? Does the ability to conceive and carry a child create an instant obligation to these couples? I find that a rather slippery slope. I resent the implication that adoption is an easy and painless conclusion to an unexpected/unwanted pregnancy. To imply so, IMO, undermines the entire sanctity-of-life argument espoused by the pro-life movement.

Heh. Quite the loaded subject. I applaud your willingness to make a stand.

February 26, 2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger JK said...

Thanks for the compliment, and also thanks for clicking by.

-JK

February 27, 2006 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home