Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Super Bowl Down The Toilet Bowl?

I have spent the last couple days trying to get a feel for everyone's opinion on Sunday's Super Bowl XL, and the results really don't look good. Most people seem to feel the much anticipated television commercials were well below par, the game was worse, and the halftime show was comparable to a visit of a local elderly independent living community. I agree about the football game ... it was pretty bad. If the Steelers and Seahawks are the best two teams in the country, we either need more teams in the conferences or to make the existing teams play year round so they don't forget how in the off season. Believe it or not, many viewers actually look forward to the commercials on Superbowl Sunday. And aside from the one or two that really struck me as funny (the MacGyver Visa ad in particular)... the rest were forgettable almost immediately after seeing them. I personally did not catch the halftime show, I ran out of salsa and had to go get more. As luck would have it though, it turns out that my jaunt to the local quick mart was much more entertaining than watching a bunch of old has been musicians ... from what I'm told. Now, I happen to very much enjoy The Rolling Stones ... but I was told by everyone who watched, "It's really time those guys think about retiring." So why is the Superbowl so super? Let's face it, we all need something to celebrate to boost our spirits half way through winter ... no matter how good or bad the game is, was, or will be.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll preface this by stating the following: I am not Mick Jagger. I am not Ron Wood, Charlie Watts, or Keith Richards (although, to be honest, I sure do feel - and probably look - like him on a rough Monday morning).

I am, however, a die-hard Stones fan. I own the entire Rolling Stones catalogue, and I've (paid dearly) to see them in concert many times. I thought the fatal flaw of the halftime show was the fact that the Stones had to appeal to the masses ...they had to play the songs with which most Americans are familiar. It's unfortunate, because I think the strength of the Roling Stones lies within the more off-beat compositions - "Before They Make Me Run", anyone? "Sister Morphine"?

My point, I suppose, is this: think of the last time you had to sing "Happy Birthday". Did you give it your all? Or did you just sing along, as you had a thousand times before? I'd bet on the latter. Granted, the Stones' whole job is to sing well-worn tunes, but I can see how they'd seem pathetic singing hits from thirty years ago ... and marginalizing themselves in the process.

Oh and the game? Predictable, dull, forgettable. The commercials, too. In a certain sense, the Stones' halftime show was a perfect complement. Heh.

February 11, 2006 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home