Saturday, September 24, 2005

Hurricane Hunters Or Rating Reachers?

I understand that hurricanes making landfall anywhere in the world is news, but standing out in the torrential rain and 80+ mile per hour winds to give the home viewer a first hand look is a little over the top. It's hard to take any newscaster seriously when they make a special trip to the affected areas, only to stand out in the elements and advise all of us not to go out in the storm. Keep in mind these are the same people we all rely on day in and day out to stay on top of weather conditions so we can all plan our day accordingly. Quite honestly, if I was as incorrect as weather forecasters seem to be all the time ... I wouldn't have a job. I think they made a better assessment years ago by guessing. Maybe all this Doppler radar and satellite imagery is just too much information, and they get confused. But then again, it's hard to screw up a hurricane. Anyway, I have taken a new outlook on weather conditions that impact me, I go outside and look up. This particular technique never fails, and is correct 100% of the time. What you see is what you get.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the problem lies in the fact that television networks no longer recruit qualified meteoroligists. Instead they go for the people with the prettiest smile and willingness to wear a short skirt!

September 25, 2005 7:11 AM  
Blogger JK said...

adam,

Here's another thought, I think all the weather people in town get together at the end of the day so they can laugh about how there is no bread and milk in the stores.

Thanks for reading.

September 25, 2005 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home