Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Wi-Fi Incident

With new Wi-Fi hot spots popping up everyday, the world of tethered computers may soon be a thing of the past altogether. Let's face it, computers are finally catching up to the "on the go" lifestyle that many live. And small business people have jumped right on board providing free wireless service to patrons. But, I heard a great story from my friend today that I just couldn't believe. It seems that the smallest Mom and Pop coffee shop, local malls, and countless other businesses offer complimentary Wi-Fi to accommodate their customers needs. My friend, who was staying in a major hotel chain in Philadelphia, informed me that there was a charge to use the wireless service ... IN THE LOBBY! He completely agreed that there should be a charge to access the internet in his room, that's a matter of convenience. But the lobby? Isn't that the same place where even bums off the street can get all the FREE coffee they want? I guess that some hotel reps forget that these Wi-Fi devices are portable, all one needs to do is just walk outside and hit someone else's router ... at no charge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This happened to me at the Grand Hyatt in New York City. I just sat next to my window in the hotel room and leeched off another hotspot.

January 01, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger JK said...

Harry,

LOL. Thanks for reading.

January 01, 2006 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home