Thursday, July 06, 2006

Reverse Discrimination ... Apparently THAT'S Socially Acceptable

Today, while I was tooling around in MSNBC.com I came across a topic called "Race In America", it was located under the section U.S. News about two thirds of the way down the listings. The articles posted there were typical news interest stories, with the exception being that all of the posts were about black subjects, stories, and/or interests. My first reaction after just reading the topic was one of disbelief ... if the African American public feels as though they are lacking respect and are being held accountable to a different set of standards because of their skin color, why do they insist on making it a point to counter that mindset with the exact same tactic? I mean, I didn't see other sections on the site offering similar ethnic perspectives like Polish Picnic ideas, Asian art critics, or letters from Latinos ... the only "Race" their interested in talking about is theirs. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for everyone having having the right to express themselves however they see fit ... we're all on this Earth together whether we like it or not, and it's alot easier to enjoy the company of someone and learn something new from them rather than go it alone. My point is, reverse discrimination has got to stop. Frankly, I'm starting to get sick of it. If I wrote a dedicated news section about the success stories of white people only (and clearly titled it as such) on a leading world news website ... I'd be inundated with lawsuits. Why is it acceptable if the situation is reversed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home